Fourth Annual Innovation Week from May 8-13, 2017 in Newfoundland and Labrador
St. John’s, NL – May 8, 2017 – The fourth annual Innovation Week kicked off today in Newfoundland and Labrador. Running from May 8-13, the week brings businesses, investors, inventors, youth and other stakeholders together to find ways to grow the province’s key sectors. The week is a mix of conferences, start-up workshops, clean and ocean technology events, TEDxYouth@StJohns, a ‘Girls Learning Code’ workshop, and an R&D tour of some the province’s most innovative companies.
Throughout the week, attendees can collaborate and learn from global innovators about how to infuse innovation into their businesses and communities. The week features over 20 events in St. John’s and Corner Brook with a special healthcare technology session in Grand Falls-Windsor. In the middle of the week on May 10, NATI’s Knowledge Summit will take place, followed by an introduction to the Atlantic Canadian nominees for the Manning Innovation Awards. The complete event schedule is available at www.innovationweek.ca.
Participating experts include:
- Newfoundland and Labrador-bornCatherine Courage, VP of Product Design and Experience for Google Ads & Commerce with Google.
- Jevon MacDonaldwas 29 when he sold his Halifax-based start-up, GoInstant, to California tech giant, Salesforce.com for $70 million.
- John RisleyandBrendan Paddickwill chart their entrepreneurship paths, building a Caribbean telecommunications company that sold for $4.4 billion.
- Dr. Julielynn Wongis founder and CEO of Medical Makers and 3D4MD. Her drone and 3D printing technology has been used for delivering healthcare in remote communities, including outer space.
- Shelli Baltman, founder of the Idea Suite, a Toronto-based innovation agency, has worked on over 100 innovation projects around the world.
- Ken Singeris Managing Director of the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology at the University of California, and Chair of the European Innovation Academy.
- Dr. Alice Landis-McGrathis with the IBM Watson Health Oncology and Genomics in San Francisco. (Grand Falls-Windsor event)
- Cambridge University’sDr. Neil Stott and Paul Traceyare experts in creating businesses that drive social change.
“Innovation Week is an excellent way to connect, showcase and map out the way forward for more innovation in Newfoundland and Labrador. Through initiatives such as our Government’s Innovation and Skills Plan, regional development agencies like ACOA will continue to work with on-the-ground partners such as NATI and local businesses to strengthen innovation in this region.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains,
Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
“Innovation is presenting the province with many exciting opportunities and that is why our government remains committed to resetting the provincial innovation agenda. We are striving to advance business innovation, productivity and competitiveness, as well as increase research and development throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. It is through working with our industry partners that we continue to develop a collective vision to ensure we are better aligned and effective while creating an ecosystem where innovation can flourish.”
– The Honourable Christopher Mitchelmore,
Minister of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation
“Innovation Week is an opportunity to share ideas and learn from a diverse group of stakeholders through innovation-focused activities. The events help foster collaboration and drive awareness that innovation is a critical component of a vibrant and sector-diverse economy. NATI is proud to be part of Innovation Week and we thank ACOA and the provincial government for their continued support.”
– Ajay Pande,
Chair of the Board, Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Technology Industries (NATI)
Get the App!
Stay up-to-date on all the news and events during Innovation Week. A free app is available on iOS and Android in the App Store as IWNL. The app was built by students and faculty from the College of the North Atlantic’s Computer Systems Engineering Technology program.
Innovation Week Partners:
ACOA, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador – Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation, College of the North Atlantic, Common Ground, Excite Corp., Futurpreneur Canada, Genesis Centre, Ladies Learning Code, Memorial University, NATI, NSERC, NEIA, OceansAdvance, Propel ICT, Research & Development Corporation, Startup Canada, St. John’s Board of Trade and TEDxStJohns.
Innovation Week Schedule
Participants interested in attending an event should register at www.innovationweek.ca.
Monday, May 8
News Conference and Innovation Week Launch
@ 10 a.m., Common Ground
Sharing the Innovation Journey with Dr. Julielynn Wong
@ Noon, UC-3013, MUN
Clean Tech Innovation Connector
@ 1 p.m., Holiday Inn St. John’s
Building our Entrepreneurial Ecosystem with Start-up Canada
@ 1 p.m., Common Ground
Tuesday, May 9
Innovation is a Buzzword
@ Noon, Common Ground
@ 4 p.m., Junior Common Room, R. Gushue Hall, Prince Philip Drive
Building a Stronger Entrepreneurial Community at MUN
@ 5 p.m., EN-4000, MUN
Wednesday, May 10
NATI Knowledge Summt
NATI Knowledge Summit,Sheraton Hotel – Experts deliver insightful talks on how and why businesses need to embrace innovation. Speakers include:
- Jevon MacDonald, co-founder of GoInstant, which was sold to Salesforce.com
- Catherine Courage, VP of Product Design and Experience for Google Ads & Commerce
- Ken Singer, Managing Director of the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology at UC Berkeley & Chair of the European Innovation Academy
- Duncan Stewart, Director of Research, TMT, Deloitte Canada
- Lyle Wetsch, Associate Professor of Marketing, Memorial University
- Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for ACOA (video message)
Building the Healthcare Economy with Dr. Alice Landis-McGrath
@ 11:30 a.m., Gordon Pinsent Centre for the Arts, Grand Falls-Windsor
Manning Innovation Awards – Atlantic Canada Nominees Reception
@ 4 p.m., Sheraton Hotel
Cambridge University’s Social Ventures: Learning from the UK Experience
@ 7 p.m., Suncor Energy Hall, School of Music, MUN
Thursday, May 11
R&D Tour with Research & Development Corp. (RDC)
@ 8:30 a.m., (Meet in Avalon Mall parking lot east of Sears)
Companies on tour: Virtual Marine Technology, Blue Ocean Satellite Systems and Gastops
World-leading “Smart” Technology – 3D Printed Crab Processing Robotics
@ 1 p.m., Marine Institute’s Pilot Plant (Room W1039)
Yarns and Networking with John Risley and Brendan Paddick
@ 7 p.m., Innovation Hall, Bruneau Centre, MUN
Friday, May 12
Ideas with Impact – Interactive session with Shelli Baltman
@ 9 a.m., Deloitte Office
Social Innovation Challenge
@ 5-10 p.m. Friday AND @ 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Johnson GeoCentre
Saturday, May 13
Science Rendez-Vous (open to all ages)
@ 11 a.m., Science building, MUN
National Girls Learning Code Day: Storytelling & Animation
@ 1 p.m., NOCLand Office, 187 Kenmount Rd.
“UN/SETTLED” by TEDxYouth@StJohns
@ 6 p.m., D.F. Cook Recital Hall
Innovation Week Communications
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, NL
Michelle Hunt Grouchy
Director of Communications
Department of Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation – Government of NL