Ocean Institute: Deep Dive into Data in Corner Brook
Now more than ever, digital skills and data literacy are in high demand, particularly in the marine technology sector. The Deep Dive into Data program, hosted by the Math and Science Special Interest Council (MSSIC,) provides a full day of engaging tutorials and activities to support high school educators in understanding the use of data and coding in classrooms.
During this one-day workshop, teachers will become familiar with a curriculum designed to pair marine technology and real-time data collected from the ocean. The interactive activities will foster critical thinking, data analyses and interpretation that you will take back to your classrooms. This engaging program will allow your students to dive into ocean data exploration through group activities and coding tasks, to navigate real-world situations using creative approaches and valuable skill development used in marine sector work.
This one-day interactive workshop covers topics and activities including:
• Challenges of bringing data and coding to the classroom
• The role of data and other information in gaining a holistic understanding of the ocean
• Data interpretation
• Understanding the skills gained during exploratory data analyses and coding tasks
• Exploratory analyses of real ocean data sets using coding to uncover interesting information and complete objectives
You will leave with a versatile toolkit of resources which includes:
• Case studies
• Coding tutorials which use code for data analyses
• Additional educator resources (mini lessons and hands-on activities, Indigenous Knowledges and learning in the classroom, assessment tools, and more)
Meals for the day, land-based travel and mileage and accommodations at the Glynmill Inn are covered by COVE.