City of St. John's
Our City, Our Future
St. John’s is a progressive city with a strong connection to the past and a positive outlook on the future. As one of the oldest cities in North America we have a unique history, but we are also a growing city with the needs and opportunities of a modern urban population. The City of St. John’s is committed to recruiting world-class talent and expertise to join our City staff, more than 1200 strong, who provide a vast array of valued services to the residents of St. John’s and the metropolitan area. If you are an innovative thinker with a positive attitude and a commitment to quality, we want you to help us make St. John’s a city where people want to live and feel they belong.
The Security Analyst role is to provide information technology security support for all staff of the City of St. John’s and its operational data centers. The position is responsible for identifying and assessing security risks, develop and implement security strategies, and protect the organizations IT infrastructure.
• Develop, implement, and maintain effective security policies, standards, and procedures to protect the organization’s information systems and networks.
• Monitor, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents, including conducting investigations and forensic analysis when necessary.
• Implement and manage security tools and technologies, such as firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, antivirus software, and data encryption solutions.
• Collaborate with business units and outside consultants to ensure that IT security controls are implemented and maintained throughout the organization.
• Conduct security awareness training sessions for employees to promote a culture of security awareness and compliance.
• Develop and maintain incident response plans and participate in incident response activities as needed.
• Conduct regular audits and reviews of security controls to ensure compliance with relevant regulations and industry standards.
• Generate reports and provide recommendations to management regarding security improvements and risk mitigation strategies.
• Maintain knowledge of most current security trends, threats, and technologies.
The successful applicant will be required to participate in all training programs applicable to this position and other related work. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Three (3) year diploma in Information Technology or related discipline from a recognized educational institution, including course work in Information Security and networking.
A minimum of three (3) years of recent work experience in security administration with similar responsibility, complexity, and technical platforms is required.
Specific Skills / Certifications:
Professional certifications in cyber security (CISSP, CEH, CompTIA+, CISM) is considered a definite asset in addition to knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) practices and principles, and security standards and regulations, such as NIST Cyber Security Framework.
Preference will be given to individuals with recent experience (within the last 3 years) in the following areas:
• Firewall and Intrusion Prevention/Detection Systems
• Incident Response and digital forensics techniques
• Security information and event management (SIEM) tools
• Encryption and cryptographic protocols
• Configuration and support of multivendor network equipment, including (but not limited to) Cisco, Meraki, Brocade, FortiGate, and Dell is required.
• Cloud technologies and security practices to ensure data protection.
A combination of education, training and relevant work experience which is acceptable to the City may be considered.
• Must possess excellent oral and written communication and documentation skills with the ability to provide excellent customer service in a professional and diplomatic manner.
• Must be able to take initiative, and independently troubleshoot challenges with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Proficiency with network protocols and architectures and a strong understanding of operating systems, database, and security technologies is preferred.
• A valid Class 5 driver’s license is required.
Work is mainly performed in an office environment. This position will require availability for standby / on call and is subject to the Mandatory Overtime provisions of the CUPE 1289 Collective Agreement.
The incumbent will be required to lift up to 10 lbs frequently and occasionally up to 20 pounds.
Hours of Work
33.75 hours/week, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
Applicants must be members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1289, or should be prepared to join the Union immediately upon appointment.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The City of St. John’s does not accept applications in person, by email, fax or mail. Applications will be received up to 12:00 Midnight (Newfoundland Standard Time) on closing date.
To apply for this job please visit cityofstjohns.njoyn.com.